Connect with us

CELEBRITIES

Investigation Exposes King Charles and Prince William’s Estates Raking in Millions from Charities and Public Service

Published

on

 

King Charles and Prince William reportedly make millions in income from contracts that their respective royal estates have with charities, public services and more, a new investigation claims.

 

 

On Nov. 2, The Sunday Times and the current affairs show Dispatches on Channel 4 in the U.K. unveiled a joint investigation making the allegation that King Charles, 75, and Prince William, 42, are generating this revenue through the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall. A Dispatches program titled The King, The Prince & Their Secret Millions debuted the same day.
In statements shared with PEOPLE, spokespersons for the Duchy of Lancaster and Duchy of Cornwall emphasized each estate’s private status.

“The Duchy of Lancaster manages a broad range of land and property assets. It is self-financing and does not receive any public funds in connection with its activities,” said a spokesperson from the Duchy of Lancaster. “It publishes an Annual Report and Accounts that is independently audited and available to view on its website and complies with all relevant U.K. legislation and regulatory standards applicable to its range of business activities.”

Offering a similar comment, a Duchy of Cornwall spokesperson said, “The Duchy of Cornwall is a private estate with a commercial imperative which we achieve alongside our commitment to restoring the natural environment and generating positive social impact for our communities.”
Prince William became Duke of Cornwall in September 2022 and since then has committed to an expansive transformation of the Duchy. This includes a significant investment to make the estate net zero by the end of 2032, as well as establishing targeted mental health support for our tenants and working with local partners to help tackle homelessness in Cornwall,” the spokesperson said.

The probe focused on the Duchy of Lancaster, a private estate of 44,748 acres of land in England and Wales owned by King Charles as sovereign, and the Duchy of Cornwall, a private estate of almost 130,000 acres of land in southwest England, owned by Prince William as the Prince of Wales. Both estates were established hundreds of years ago to provide income for the sovereign and the heir to the throne, respectively.
The Sunday Times said that a five-month investigation illuminated how the two duchies are making millions by “charging government departments, councils, businesses, mining companies and the general public via a series of commercial rents and feudal levies on land largely seized by medieval monarchs.”
The Duchy Files show the royals charge for the right to cross rivers; offload cargo onto the shore; run cables under their beaches; operate schools and charities; and even dig graves. They earn revenue from toll bridges, ferries, sewage pipes, churches, village halls, pubs, distilleries, gas pipelines, boat moorings, opencast and underground mines, car parks, rental homes and wind turbines,” the outlet alleged.

The arrangement is perceived to be problematic because the royals purportedly “operate as commercial landlords” with the benefit of a special Treasury agreement “exempting them from paying tax on their corporate profits.”
Reported leases and contracts in King Charles and Prince William’s names reveal that they are making money “by charging the army, the navy, the NHS [National Health Service], the prison service and state schools to use their land, rivers and seashores,” The Sunday Times claimed.

The outlet said that the duchies earned about $65 million last year, with the Duchy of Lancaster driving about $35 million for the King and the Duchy of Cornwall making about $30 million for William.
Through the Crown Lands Act 1702, King Charles receives income, not capital, from the Duchy of Lancaster, according to its history. Meanwhile, his eldest son Prince William chooses to use the revenue from the Duchy of Cornwall to pay for his public, private and charitable activities, per the duchy’s FAQ.

Over the summer, the Prince of Wales made waves by declining to disclose how much he paid in taxes on the $30 million payday for the Duchy of Cornwall’s 2023-2024 financial year.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CELEBRITIES1 hour ago

Meghan Markle is shaken as Samantha threatens to provide proof that Lili is actually Ashleigh’s biological daughter ….Full story below👇👇

NFL2 hours ago

Breaking News: Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Welcome Baby Boy: A New Chapter Begins…😮😲 In a heartwarming turn of events, global pop sensation Taylor Swift and NFL superstar Travis Kelce have reportedly welcomed their first child together—a baby boy—marking the beginning of an exciting new chapter for the high-profile couple. Sources close to the pair confirmed the news earlier today, sending fans into a frenzy of celebration across social media and beyond. Full story..👇👇👇

CELEBRITIES2 hours ago

No McDavid, no problem as Edmonton Oilers make a statement in Vegas

CELEBRITIES4 hours ago

BREAKING: Tom Brady Slams Jason Kelce and Kylie Kelce on Fox News for Parading Their Newborn Daughter Finn Anna Kelce During Episodes of ‘New Heights with Travis Kelce’ and ‘Not Gonna Lie’ Barely Days After Kylie Gave Birth

CELEBRITIES5 hours ago

Unable to hide it, Harry livestreams to reveal the illness he has been diagnosed with in the U.S.: “My wife has kept it from you, but in reality, I am undergoing treatment for…” See more below 👇👇👇

CELEBRITIES8 hours ago

Fox News has reported that U.S. President Donald Trump has officially divorced his wife, Melania Trump, and introduced America to its new First Lady. The announcement came during a press briefing at the White House, where Trump, flanked by senior advisors, confirmed that his divorce from Melania had been finalized…See More👇

CELEBRITIES1 day ago

BREAKING NEWS: Elon Musk Officially Banned from All coming Games After Kansas City Chiefs Announcement for This Reason……😮 In a move that has left the sports world buzzing, the Kansas City Chiefs have officially banned billionaire Elon Musk from attending any of their future games and here is how Elon musk reacted by…see full articles here

CELEBRITIES1 day ago

BREAKING : Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Welcome Baby Boy: A New Chapter Begins… In a surprising yet heartwarming twist, global pop icon Taylor Swift and NFL superstar Travis Kelce have welcomed their first child together—a baby boy—despite never tying the knot. The couple, whose whirlwind romance has captivated fans and media alike, confirmed the news in a joint statement, expressing their joy and excitement for this new chapter, see 10 adorable baby photos and See full article👇👇

CELEBRITIES2 days ago

BREAKING NEWS: Taylor Swift has urgently been rushed to the hospital after a

CELEBRITIES2 days ago

Congratulations To The Kelce Family They Welcomed Their Fourth Daughter Today Finnley “Finn” Anne Kelce♥️💛

CELEBRITIES2 days ago

BREAKING: The whole Gymnastics World shed tears and prayed for Simone biles after a HEARTBREAKING announcement ….😟 See more 👇

NFL2 days ago

BREAKING: NFL Fans shed tears and prayed for Travis Kelce after a HEARTBREAKING announcement ….😟

Copyright © 2024 UKtalkin