Connect with us

CELEBRITIES

Coco Gauff suffers surprise first-round exit against Sofia Kenin at Wimbledon

Published

on

 

Four years ago, a 15-year-old Coco Gauff announced herself to the world at Wimbledon when she beat Venus Williams in the first round and made it through to the last 16. On Monday, the American, tipped by many as a possible champion this year, was bounced out in the first round, beaten 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 by a resurgent Sofia Kenin, herself a former grand slam champion who had lost her way. Nothing is guaranteed in tennis.

 

 

Right now, I’m very frustrated and disappointed,” the No 7 seed said. “It makes me want to work even harder. I feel like I’ve been working hard but clearly it’s not enough. I have to go back to the drawing board and see where I need to improve and how to do the right drills to do that.”

 

Gauff looked to have weathered the storm when she recovered to level the match on Court No 1 at one set all but world No 128 Kenin, who had to qualify for the main draw, held her nerve brilliantly to claim one of the biggest victories since she won the Australian Open in 2020.

“This means a lot,” Kenin said. “I had to go through qualies, I battled out there, I took this match as any match, I’m just super proud of myself.”

Three years ago, Kenin was riding high towards the top of women’s tennis, having won the Australian Open and reached the final of the French Open.

But injuries to her ankles and an on-off coaching relationship with her father derailed her progress to the point where her ranking dropped outside the top 400 at one stage.

But on Monday, she played the kind of tennis that took her to grand slam glory and a career-high ranking of No 4, outfoxing Gauff with a series of drop shots, angles and aggressive hitting, which never allowed the American to truly settle. The key to the match came in the fourth game of the final set when Kenin held serve under enormous pressure; once she had done that, she pulled away for a deserved victory.

As well as Kenin played, Gauff contributed to her own downfall, in familiar fashion. Her serve, much improved of late, misfired with double faults at crucial times; her forehand, her achilles heel, let her down throughout, including on the final point when she dumped it into the net. As Kenin said: “I knew, in crucial moments, to hit to the forehand”.

“She had nothing to lose today,” Gauff said. “Obviously she won a grand slam but she’s in a tough spot in her career. So I knew coming in she would play with a lot of motivation.

It was all about how I would play today and how I would take care of my end of the court. I did in certain moments but obviously it was not enough.”

Gauff had been seeded to meet world No 1 Iga Swiatek in the quarter-finals. Now Kenin takes that path.

It is easy to forget sometimes that there are plenty of things Swiatek still doesn’t know about the tennis world. The 22-year-old Pole has won three of the past five grand slam events – and four in all – but until Monday, she had never had to deal with the vagaries of the short rain delay.

I actually haven’t got the experience I think of suspended match, then coming back after just like 15 minutes,” she said, after winning 6-1, 6-3. “I wanted to see how it’s going to go. So I’m happy that it went well and I could close it out.”

The fourth seed Jessica Pegula was tested by the American Lauren Davis before winning 6-2, 6-7 (8), 6-3. France’s Caroline Garcia, the No 5 seed, beat American Katy Volynets 6-4, 6-3 while the No 11 seed Daria Kasatkina, the runner-up in Eastbourne at the weekend, shrugged off a sore back to beat Caroline Dolehide 6-1, 6-4.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NFL47 minutes ago

“We need more Toby Keiths and less Taylor Swifts,” Kid Rock refused to stand with Taylor on stage! (Full story

CELEBRITIES10 hours ago

Harry Takes SHOCKING DECISION Which has Left Meghan Markle In Tears! KING CALLS FOR CELEBRATION (VIDEO)… Full story below👇👇👇

CELEBRITIES18 hours ago

Meghan Markle is shaken as Samantha threatens to provide proof that Lili is actually Ashleigh’s biological daughter ….Full story below👇👇

NFL19 hours ago

Breaking News: Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Welcome Baby Boy: A New Chapter Begins…😮😲 In a heartwarming turn of events, global pop sensation Taylor Swift and NFL superstar Travis Kelce have reportedly welcomed their first child together—a baby boy—marking the beginning of an exciting new chapter for the high-profile couple. Sources close to the pair confirmed the news earlier today, sending fans into a frenzy of celebration across social media and beyond. Full story..👇👇👇

CELEBRITIES19 hours ago

No McDavid, no problem as Edmonton Oilers make a statement in Vegas

CELEBRITIES21 hours ago

BREAKING: Tom Brady Slams Jason Kelce and Kylie Kelce on Fox News for Parading Their Newborn Daughter Finn Anna Kelce During Episodes of ‘New Heights with Travis Kelce’ and ‘Not Gonna Lie’ Barely Days After Kylie Gave Birth

CELEBRITIES22 hours ago

Unable to hide it, Harry livestreams to reveal the illness he has been diagnosed with in the U.S.: “My wife has kept it from you, but in reality, I am undergoing treatment for…” See more below 👇👇👇

CELEBRITIES1 day ago

Fox News has reported that U.S. President Donald Trump has officially divorced his wife, Melania Trump, and introduced America to its new First Lady. The announcement came during a press briefing at the White House, where Trump, flanked by senior advisors, confirmed that his divorce from Melania had been finalized…See More👇

CELEBRITIES2 days ago

BREAKING NEWS: Elon Musk Officially Banned from All coming Games After Kansas City Chiefs Announcement for This Reason……😮 In a move that has left the sports world buzzing, the Kansas City Chiefs have officially banned billionaire Elon Musk from attending any of their future games and here is how Elon musk reacted by…see full articles here

CELEBRITIES2 days ago

BREAKING : Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce Welcome Baby Boy: A New Chapter Begins… In a surprising yet heartwarming twist, global pop icon Taylor Swift and NFL superstar Travis Kelce have welcomed their first child together—a baby boy—despite never tying the knot. The couple, whose whirlwind romance has captivated fans and media alike, confirmed the news in a joint statement, expressing their joy and excitement for this new chapter, see 10 adorable baby photos and See full article👇👇

CELEBRITIES2 days ago

BREAKING NEWS: Taylor Swift has urgently been rushed to the hospital after a

CELEBRITIES3 days ago

Congratulations To The Kelce Family They Welcomed Their Fourth Daughter Today Finnley “Finn” Anne Kelce♥️💛

Copyright © 2024 UKtalkin